15 Interesting Computer Facts – Another Step Towards History
You might have read some interesting Internet firsts and facts in some older posts so, I thought why not write something about Computer. After all, it’s computer which laid foundation of many technologies we use daily. Obviously, computer was not in the current shape from the beginning. Let’s step back towards the history and learn some interesting facts about computer.
1. First ever microprocessor by Intel was “4004”.
2. Micral N was the first personal computer built on Intel processor 8008. This personal computer was built in 1972 and more than 90,000 units were sold.
3. First hard disk drive was introduced by Seagate in 1979, which could hold 5 M.B. of data.
4. First computer virus was written by Farooq Alvi brothers (Basit Farooq Alvi & Amjad Farooq Alvi) in 1986. Though some other people say that it was written even before. Alvi brothers wrote this virus to protect their research work.
5. First Computer Company to register domain name was “Digital Equipment Corporation”.
6. HP (Hewlett Packard) was started at a garage in Palo Alto in 1939.
7. QWERTY keyboard sequence is 129 years old.
8. Largest four software making Companies are:
9. 1,693,000 terabytes of information are produced and stored per year.
10. Maximum numbers of transistors on a chip are on nVidia GeFore 6800 Ultra, which contains 222 million of them.
11. First ISP was “CompuServe” which was set up in 1969. This ISP is now an acquisition of AOL.
12. “The Dirty Dozen” is the name of 12 engineers who designed IBM PC.
13. It could take more than the age of universe to crack a 128 bit SSL encrypted message.
14. Windows 95 can run on a 20 MHz 386DX and 4 MB of RAM.
15. [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Delete] sequence was written by “David Bradley”.
There must be a lot of facts other than listed above and you are welcome to add anything you want.