Thread: Excellence of eating fallen grain (Giri Hui Roti Khana)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1284 Thread(s)

exclaim Excellence of eating fallen grain (Giri Hui Roti Khana)

Excellence of eating fallen pieces of bread

The mercy of Allah Taala is infinite indeed. At times, an act seems to be very minor, but its virtue is very great. Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah Bin Umm-e-Haram Radi Allahu Anhu has narrated that the Prophet of mankind, the Peace of our heart and mind, the most Generous and Kind Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam has stated, ‘Treat bread with respect as it is from amongst the blessings of the heavens and earth. Whoever eats a fallen piece of bread from the dining-mat will be forgiven.’ (Al-Jami’-us-Saghir, pp. 88, Hadis 1426)

Treat bread with respect

It is Sunnah to pick up and eat a piece of bread that has fallen on the ground.Sayyidatuna ‘Aishah Siddiqah Radi Allahu Anha has narrated that Rasulullah Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam once entered his blessed home and saw a fallen piece of bread. He Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam picked it up, cleaned and ate it. He Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam then said, ‘O ‘Aishah (Radi Allahu Anha)! Respect that which is good because when this (i.e. the bread) has run away from a nation, then it has never returned.’ (Sunan Ibn Majah, vol. 4, pp. 50, Hadis 3353)

Parable about piece of bread

One day Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah Bin ‘Umar Radi Allahu Anhu saw a fallen piece of bread. He Radi Allahu Anhu instructed his slave to pick it up, clean and keep it. At the time of Iftar, he Radi Allahu Anhu asked his slave for that piece of bread. The slave told him that he had already eaten it. Hearing this, he Radi Allahu Anhu said to the slave, ‘Go! I set you free because I once heard the Beloved and Blessed Prophet Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam say, ‘Whoever eats a fallen piece of bread, Allah Taala forgives that person before it reaches his stomach.’ So how can I keep the person in servitude who has become entitled to forgiveness?’ (Tanbih-ul-Ghafilin, pp. 348, Hadis 514)

Protection of offspring from unwisdom

The Prophet of mankind,Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam has stated, ‘The one who picks up the bits of food that have fallen on the dining-mat and eats them, will live a life of affluence and his offspring and the offspring of his offspring will be protected from unwisdom.’ (Kanz-ul-‘Ummal, vol. 15, pp. 111, Hadis 40815)

A remedy for destitution

An eminent scholar of Hadis, Sayyiduna Hudbah Bin Khalid Rehmatullah Alaih was once invited by the caliph of Baghdad, Mamun-ur-Rashid. After eating, the great scholar began to pick up and eat the bits of food that had fallen down. Astonished, the caliph asked, ‘O Shaykh! Are you not full yet?’ He Rehmatullah Alaih replied, ‘I am certainly full but I have heard a Hadis from Sayyiduna Hammad Bin Salamah Radi Allahu Anhu ‘Whoever picks up and eats fallen grains of food from the dining-mat, will be free from the fear of poverty.’ I (the Shaykh) am merely practicing upon this Hadis.’

Highly impressed, the caliph gestured to a servant who brought a thousand dinars [gold coins] wrapped up in a handkerchief and gave it to Sayyiduna Hudbah Bin Khalid Rehmatullah Alaih as a gift. The eminent scholar said, Alhamdu Lillah Taala! The blessing of the Hadis has taken place right away.’ (Samarat-ul-Awraq, vol. 1, pp. 8)

We do not know which part of food possesses blessings

Sayyiduna Jabir Radi Allahu Anhu has narrated that the Beloved and Blessed Rasul Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam ordered (us) to lick the fingers and wipe the used dish clean, and said, ‘You do not know as to which part of food has blessings.’ (Sahih Muslim, pp. 1122, Hadis 2023)

Hold the bread in the left hand and break it with the right one as this is a Sunnah. Make a habit of breaking the bread above the plate or the container so that the crumbs of the bread fall onto the food, otherwise the crumbs, if fall on the dining-mat, will go to waste.

Virtues of eating fallen grains

1. If grains or morsels of food fall during the meal, pick them up, wipe them clean and eat them as there are glad tidings of forgiveness for the one doing so.
    2. It is stated in Hadis that whoever picks up grains of food which have fallen on the dining-mat and eats them will live a life of affluence and his offspring and the offspring of his offspring will be protected from unwisdom. (Kanz-ul-‘Ummal, vol. 15,pp. 111, Hadis 40815)
    3. Hujjat-ul-Islam Sayyiduna Imam Muhammad Ghazali Rehmatullah Alaih has narrated, ‘Pick up (and eat) the pieces and particles of bread, you will get affluent,Insha Allah Taala. The children will be born safe and free from disabilities. Furthermore, the pieces of bread will serve as a dowry of heavenly maidens.’ (Ihya-ul-‘Ulum, vol. 2, pp.7)
    4. It is permissible to pick up and kiss a fallen piece of bread.
    5. It is permissible to feed the grains and particles of food fallen on the dining-mat to chickens, birds, cows or goats etc. One can also put them at a place where ants can consume them.

Don’t forgot Sunnah in shyness

Dear Islamic brothers & Sisters! our pious saints Rehmatullah Alaih would never forgo a Sunnah under any circumstance. They had no hesitation in acting upon Sunnah in the presence of the rich and even the king. This parable contains ample lesson for those Islamic brothers who forgo the Sunnah of eating, drinking and that of turban and beard merely out of shyness with people. Undoubtedly, acting upon Sunnah will lead to success in the world as well as in the Hereafter.

How to reap blessings of food?

Dear Islamic brothers! Extremely regretfully! The eating manners of today’s Muslims show that there would be only a few fortunate people who will be reaping the blessings of food by consuming it according to Sunnah. In the Hadis, it is clearly stated that we are not aware of the part of the food which contains blessings. We should, therefore, try not to waste even a single particle of food. We should consume all the meat and the edible particles of food on the bones so that no remnant goes to waste.

We can also jerk the bone into the plate so that edible particles from inside the bone can come out & be consumed. If possible, we should also consume spices such as cardamom, peppercorn, clove, cinnamon etc. cooked with food, Insha Allah Taala, it will also benefit us.

However, there is no sin if these items cannot be eaten. Rather than throwing away green chillies used in food, if possible, one should take them out from food before eating and preserve them for reuse. Most people throw away fish skin; one should eat this as well. In short, all harmless edibles in food should be consumed, including the remnants of food on the fingers and those that are in the plate.

Ya Allah azwajal For the sake of Your Beloved Prophet Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam, bestow upon us the Madani mindset as well as the true love and devotion to Sunnah. If we ever see fallen piece of bread, grant us the privilege to pick it up, kiss it (in respect), clean it and eat it. Ya Allah azwajal, may our hesitancy of acting upon Sunnah go away and may we be forgiven!

Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7184 Thread(s)

But now people have learned from culture or media n from the doctors as well that a fallen piece of bread contains so many germs n it's also counted as bad manners so what would u say about it?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1284 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shazia rana View Post
    But now people have learned from culture or media n from the doctors as well that a fallen piece of bread contains so many germs n it's also counted as bad manners so what would u say about it?
    Aaj kal to fashion hi hai ke plate me khana zutha rakh dete hai. Aur jo khana gira hai, ho sakta hai humara rizq us me hi ho. raha germs ka sawal to agar roti wagaira sukhi cheez ghar me farsh ya darstarkhwan wagaira par giri ho to us ko saaf kar ke kha bhi sakte hai. Agar farsh gandi hai to us roti ke tuktde ya chawal wagaira ke daane utha kar ke aise jagah dal de jahan Murgi ya koi janwar kha le aur wo pair me na aaye.
    Is post me yahi likha hai ke
    Logon se sharma kar Sunnat tark na kare. Humara culture bhi yahi sikhata hai. Aur Hadis me bhi iske faide bataye gaye hai.

hope u satisfy with my answer.
    Last edited by shaikh_samee; 20-12-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7184 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shaikh_samee View Post
    Aaj kal to fashion hi hai ke plate me khana zutha rakh dete hai. Aur jo khana gira hai, ho sakta hai humara rizq us me hi ho. raha germs ka sawal to agar roti wagaira sukhi cheez ghar me farsh ya darstarkhwan wagaira par giri ho to us ko saaf kar ke kha bhi sakte hai. Agar farsh gandi hai to us roti ke tuktde ya chawal wagaira ke daane utha kar ke aise jagah dal de jahan Murgi ya koi janwar kha le aur wo pair me na aaye.
    Is post me yahi likha hai ke
    Logon se sharma kar Sunnat tark na kare. Humara culture bhi yahi sikhata hai. Aur Hadis se me bhi iske faide bataye gaye hai.

hope u satisfy with my answer.
    Good answer.

Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10829 Thread(s)

Jazak ALLAH khair

*jamshed* is offline کچھ یادیں ،کچھ باتیں
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8346 Thread(s)

jazak1 - Excellence of eating fallen grain (Giri Hui Roti Khana)