Stuffed Makai Palak Parathas
Stuffed makai palak parathas, used in combination with makai ka atta makes a delectable variation of the traditional makai ki roti. It is traditionally served with butter but can be served with pickle and curds too.
- For The Dough
- 1 cup maize flour (makai ka atta)
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach (palak)
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp oil for kneading
- To Be Mixed Into A Stuffing
- 1/2 cup grated paneer
- 1/4 cup boiled and crushed green peas
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- salt to taste
- Other Ingredients
- whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
- oil for cooking
- butter for serving
For the dough
- ¤ Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Keep aside.
- ¤ Knead again using oil till smooth and divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- ¤ Roll out each portion into 100 mm. (4") diameter circles using a little wheat flour for rolling.
How to proceed
- ¤ Divide the stuffing into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- ¤ Place a dough circle on a clean, dry surface and place one portion of the stuffing in the centre, fold the edges over the stuffing to make a square.
- ¤ Press it lightly to seal the stuffing, flatten the dough and roll out again into a square of 125 mm. (5") using a little flour for rolling.
- ¤ Heat a tava (griddle) and cook the paratha on both sides, using a little oil till both sides turn golden brown in colour.
- ¤ Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more parathas. Serve hot with a dollop of butter.
- ¤ In the dough, instead of spinach, you can add chopped greens like shredded cabbage, fenugreek leaves etc for a variation.
- ¤ One can add tofu and mint in the stuffing instead of paneer.