Tuesdays with Morrie
Book Review

Author: Mitch Albom

Meet Morrie. Professor. Aged. Alive. And dying.
Meet Mitch. Student. Young. Confused. But living.
Put them together, and you get the "Tuesday people". An old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson. This is 'Tuesdays with Morrie' in a nutshell.

Mitch Albom's book is a true account of his meetings with his old professor, Morrie, in his dying days. Morrie is a person who believes in living life to the fullest. He believes in giving and receiving love, in shunning material things, in opening up, in treasuring things, in building relationships. And he dies doing that.

Mitch is his student from university days who gets sidetracked by the shimmer of the world and forgets his old professor. After a gap of sixteen years, a chance encounter leads him back to the doorstep of Morrie. Morrie receives him as if he had never been away.

Together they rediscover their relationship and cover a range of issues that plague peoples' lives: regrets, money, emotions, family, aging, love, self-pity, marriage, culture, forgiveness and death. They learn together and grow together. Morrie learns to enjoy his illness and dependency. Mitch finds comfort in the spirit of the dying man and his words, and learns of things that are truly important in life.

"I want to talk to the person I was before meeting my old Professor. I want to tell him what to look out for, what mistakes to avoid, to pay attention to your loved ones' words as if it were the last time you might hear them," says the writer, Mitch.

Morrie thinks that since he is on the verge of crossing the bridge to afterlife, people are more interested in him. They want to know what to pack for themselves. And he tells us of just the right things.

'Tuesdays with Morrie' is a beautifully written book that must be read by all. Morrie is a character that is bound to be enjoyed by everyone. He teaches the world how to remain alive in people's hearts even after one's death. And this memoir, written originally to pay his medical bills, does exactly that.