NEW DELHI: Sri Lanka vice-captain Kumar Sangakkara said on Tuesday the entire touring squad was safe after gunmen opened fire on the team convoy in the Pakistani city of Lahore.

"There are a few injuries, but everyone is safe and all the players are out of danger," Sangakkara told an Indian news channel from Lahore.

"We are shocked, but apart from that everyone is OK."

Sri Lankan officials said seven players and an assistant coach were hurt during the attack which took place when the team was making its way to the Gaddafi stadium for the third day's play in the second Test against Pakistan.

Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paranavitana were briefly hospitalised, while skipper Mahela Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Ajantha Mendis, Thilina Thushara and Suranga Lokumal received minor injuries, mainly shrapnel wounds, Sri Lankan
sports minister Gamini Lokuge said in Colombo.

The team's assistant coach, Paul Farbrace, a British national, was also hurt, officials said.

"I had shrapnel injuries in my shoulder, but they have all been removed and I'm OK now," said Sangakkara, 31.

"Thilan has a shrapnel wound in his leg, but he is fine. Paranavitana had shrapnel in his chest, but thank God it was not very deep and just on the surface.

"Ajantha had shrapnel in his neck and scalp, but he too has had medical attention and is fine.

"It's very unfortunate that this has happened. I don't regret coming here to play cricket because that's what we have been doing all our lives.

"That is our profession. But all we want to do now is to go back home to our families, get back home and be safe," he said.

Skipper Jayawardene said the bus came under attack as they were driving to the stadium.

"The gunmen targeted the wheels of the bus first and then the bus," Jayawardene told a cricket website. "We all dived to the floor to take cover."
shim - All Sri Lanka players 'safe': Sangakkara