Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has said it will wait for a security report from the IPL before releasing its contracted players for the second season, due to start next month. The league itself is currently in negotiations with the Indian government over dates for the tournament following concerns over security through its six-week duration.
Nishantha Ranatunga, secretary of the newly appointed SLC interim committee, said the IPL-contracted players requested a security report from the league; once that was in, officials and players would jointly decide the next course of action. "The national players are contracted to SLC and it is our duty to protect and assist them," he said.
The move is in accordance with the interim panel's decision that the national team or its players will be sent abroad on tours or for tournaments only after a security guarantee from the host. "We will undertake the responsibility of sending an independent person to assess the security situation in the country the players are due to play in and, depending on the report, a final decision will be taken," Ranatunga said.
He also said the team manager appointed for the tour would also accompany the independent security advisor during the safety assessment, subject to the availability of the manager at the time.
The issue of security has been top of SLC's agenda following the attack in Lahore, where the Sri Lanka team and ICC officials were ambushed by terrorists on their way to the Test ground earlier this month.
Fourteen Sri Lankan players are due to appear in the second edition of the IPL, which will run from April 10-May 24. They are Sanath Jayasuriya, Dilhara Fernando, Lasith Malinga (Mumbai Indians), Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara (Kings XI Punjab), Tillakaratne Dilshan, Farveez Maharoof (Delhi Daredevils), Angelo Mathews, Ajantha Mendis (Kolkata Knight Riders), Thilan Thushara, Muttiah Muralitharan (Chennai Super Kings), Chaminda Vaas, Nuwan Zoysa and Chamara Silva (Deccan Chargers).