Saffron & Cardamom Flavoured Rice
* 2 Cloves
* 1 tsp Salt
* 750 ml Water
* 1 Green Cardamom
* 450 gms Basmati Rice
* 3 tbsps Semi-Skimmed milk
* ½ tsp Crushed Saffron strands
1. Wash the rice at least twice and place it in a medium saucepan with the water.
2. Toss all the whole spices into the saucepan along with the salt. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the saffron and semi-skimmed (25%) milk in a small pan and warm. Alternatively, put the ingredients in a cup and warm for 1 minute in the microwave.
4. Now return to the rice to see if it is fully cooked. Use a slotted spoon to lift out a few grains and press the rice between your index finger and thumb. It should feel soft on the outside but still a little hard in the middle.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully drain the rice through a serve (strainer).
6. Transfer the rice back into the pan and pour the saffron and milk over the top of the rice.
7. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place the pan back on a medium heat for 7-10 minutes.
8. After cooking, remove the pan from the heat and leave the rice to stand for a further 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: If you want to store rice, put a few red chillies in it. They will save the rice from insects.