If you decide to give up the album art display to a fast, responsive player and finger friendly interface Nitrogen is the player for you. Microfi Nitrogen is a native open source Windows Mobile application that allows you to play MP3/OGG songs stored on your Pocket PC device.
Nitrogen was build due to the lack of finger-friendly players for Pocket PC (you have to use stylus even for simple tasks). It features large buttons and you can browse among your play list by drawing circles on the screen (using skins which support wheel component).
It features a file browser, full skin support, smart shuffle and repeat modes, a 10-band equalizer with preset support (8 included presets), built-in sleep mode, a blank screen command to prevent energy waste while playing music and many more new features.
Nitrogen uses the MAD/OVD decoders, which are open source. As the official releases of MAD for Pocket PC seem to be discontinued, Nitrogen uses the libraries from an open source player (GSP layer).
1. High-quality MP3 playback with MAD decoder
2. High-quality OGG playback with OVD decoder
3. Intuitive and customizable user interface with full skin support
4. 10-band equalizer with preset support
5. Large buttons that makes it easy to perform common tasks without stylus
6. File browser that scans directories to make playlists
7. “Shuffle” and “Repeat” modes
8. Amazingly fast to load and to play
9. Command to blank screen while playing to save energy
10. Extremely lightweight: less than 2mb of storage, around 1.5mb of RAM
11. Native C++ code: no need for .NET frameworks
…. And much more.
With all these exciting features this application is here to rule the mobile music industry. Features like energy saver, fast to load and play, lightweight really makes it the best option for mobile use. These features tend to help users accustomed to many hours of listening music by saving battery thus increasing play time considerably.
Nitrogen is still a beta release! This means that you might find bugs and a few glitches. Manufacturers are really up to the task of improving it and really like your comments on this. In future releases the program will be expected to have other extensions support and more features, but such things are still being tested to ensure stability and efficiency.