Nadal unsure to play Montreal Masters Tennis
MADRID: World number two Rafael Nadal said on Tuesday he was unsure if he would return to competition at the Montreal Masters next month.
"I don''t know. I would like to be in Montreal in a week and a half. I will have to push it in the next few days and see," the Spaniard told Spanish state television in an interview
conducted at his home in Mallorca.
Nadal has been suffering from tendinitis in both knees aggravated by a gruelling schedule of clay court matches. He has not played a competitive match since being knocked out in the fourth round of the French Open by Robin Soderling on May 31 and did not defend his Wimbledon title.
Nadal, who resumed training last week, had earmarked the Montreal Masters, which starts on Aug.8, as a likely return date.
"My main objective is for my knees to be perfect," he said. "It seems like I''m well but I want to be sure before I go out on to a court."
Nadal, who has lost his French Open and Wimbledon titles and his number one ranking to Swiss rival Roger Federer, said he had brought the problem with his knees upon himself by not knowing when to stop and rest, as he was so used to playing with pain.