The Croatia star may be handed a two-match ban by UEFA for diving, but the referee has come out defending his call

Referee Manuel Gonzalez has come out defending his decision to award a penalty to Arsenal when Eduardo dramatically went down in the box after what appeared to be a challenge by Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc during the Champions League play-off.

Replays indicated that there was little or no contact with the 'keeper, with manager Arsene Wenger later conceding that the man in charge may have got the decision wrong.

"I made the decision honestly and during the game from my position," Gonzalez is quoted in The Telegraph as saying.

"My assistant also confirmed my decision.

"The Celtic players were very upset but my decision was based on what I saw, and its not easy for referees."

The match official signed off by claiming that everyone goes wrong once in a while and that it is a tough job to make the call within a fraction of a second.

"We make a split-second decision and without the help of television," he concluded.

Meanwhile, the draw for the Champions League group stage took place yesterday, and the Gunners were drawn along with AZ Alkmaar, Olympiakos and Standard Liege in Group H.