1 kg. chicken/mutton pieces
1 tbsp garlic-ginger paste
4 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp salt
1/2 bunch pudina/mint
1 bunch coriander (mint & coriander in 1:2 ratio)
2 tbsp dessicated coconut
1 handful roasted peanuts
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp jeera/cumin
1/2 tsp haldi/turmeric pwd
2 red chillies or 2-3 green chillies
6 cloves garlic
1/2 inch ginger
2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
1 large chopped onion
1 inch cinnamon stick
Rice (about 2 cups for 3-4 ppl) - washed & drained
Salt to taste
A mix of 1 small chopped & fried onion, roasted/fried nuts & raisins, chopped coriander/cilantro and 1/4 cup lime juice
3 medium potatoes - peel skin off & cut in half (optional)
2-3 boiled eggs (optional)
- Mix ingredients 1-4 and leave to marinate for 4-8 hrs.
- Grind ingredients 5-16 with some water to a smooth paste.
- In the pressure cooker, heat ghee, fry onions, cinnamon stick, elaichis/cardamom and then add the ground masala little by little - frying well.
- Then add chicken pieces & potatoes and stir well, add salt, fry well for few mins, tossing around gently.
- Add 1.5 glasses water and wait till it boils - close and pressure cook upto 1 whistle.
- Separate the water from the cooker and use this water with the water you would cook the rice in (rice should be half the quantity of total water used).
- Add salt and bay leaves to rice water.
- When rice is done, make alternate layers of rice and the chicken, rice at the bottom & top.
- For each layer sprinkle a bit of the mix described in ingredient 24 above, ending right on top.
- Close and steam for lil time on low flame