1 1/2 lbs (650gms) hammour or Cha-naad,
1/2 cup chopped frsh parsley,
3 eggs beaten,
1 cup bread crumbs,
6 cloves garlic,
3 tablespoons loomi (lemon juice),
2 onions chopped and browned in a little oil,
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon turmiric
2 teaspoons bezar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cummin
Extra breadcrumbs for coating
Corn oil for frying
Lime slices, for garnish
Cucumber slices, for garnish
- Place fish, parsley, onion, eggs, salt, vinegar, spices and breadcrumbs in a bowl and mix well with hands.
- Crush the garlic and pound with loomi in a mortar and pestle until the paste is formed: Add to fish mixture and mix well again.
- If too wet, add little flour, if too dry, add little cold water.
- Form the mixture into small cakes approximately 3" (7.5cm) diameter and roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry until they turn golden brown. Serve them hot!
These savoury fish cakes are fried just long enough to become light and fluffy. The spices added give them sufficient flavour to be tasty and not too spicy.
A favourite for any afternoon visit, the cakes can be made in advance and kept in your refrigerator for up to 24 hours, then fried. Enough for 6-8 serves.
Sab Mill Chuke Hain Mujhe
Main Ab Takreban Mukamal Ho Chuki Hoon!!