Thread: 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

Islamabad, UK
    548 Post(s)
    9504 Thread(s)
    candel 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

quick tips - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

Missing Recycle Bin

I had yet another distressed Worldstartreader contact me yesterday to tell me that their recycle bin hadpulled a Harry Houdini and escaped from their desktop. This isworrisome, to say the least, but, as always, there is a solution.Actually, there are a couple of solutions depending on yourOperating System, so let's get to them!

In WindowsVista and 7,Right-Click on your Desktop tobring up the PersonalizeAppearance andSounds window.

Click Change Desktop Icons

recycle bin screenie - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

From here, you'll see a list ofcheck boxes, one of which being the RecycleBin. If it's not checked, then do so and hitApply.

recycle bin screenie2 - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

You should now have your Recycle Bin icon back of yourdesktop!

If you happen to be aWindows XP user, click here. That tipshould help you get your XP Recycle Bin back where itbelongs.

comp101 - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

Today, we're going to do something a little different with thissection! Below are three questions that I have been getting a lotof lately, so I thought I would just answer all of them at the sametime. You will find each question, followed by its answer. They'rejust three quick and simple questions. Hope you don'tmind!

Question #1: What does the star in Gmail mean andhow can I use this function in my own e-mail?

First, let'sbegin with a brief explanation of what Gmail actually is, just incase some of you aren't sure. Gmail (which can be found at is Google's version of an e-mail program. It isone of the top free e-mail services online today, offering 2.8 GBof storage space and a very easy to use interface.

With thatsaid, one of the new features introduced in Gmail is "starring." Bystarring a message in Gmail, the user is able to place a graphicreminder next to an e-mail that may be a little more important thansome of the others. With this feature, you no longer have to markan e-mail as "Unread" to remind yourself that you need to deal withthat e-mail ASAP.

Instead, youjust mark the e-mail with a star and it will help you to rememberthat you need to respond to that e-mail. To star a message of yourown, just look for the white star graphic, located to the right ofthe checkbox for the message you would like to select. Click on itand the graphic will then become a yellow star to show that it hasbeen starred. As you can see, it's a very handy feature!

Question #2: I'musing Windows XP and sometimes when I turn off my computer, I getthis message as it's shutting down: "This application failed toinitialize, because the window station is shutting down." What doesthat mean and how can I make it stop?

Basically,the only time you'll ever see that message displayed is when yourcomputer is shutting down. Whether you told the computer to turnoff or an installer program is restarting your computer for you,that's the only time it will come up. This error message isdisplayed, because an important program must be running while youare attempting to turn off your computer. Either that or a programhas frozen while you're trying to shut down yourcomputer.

It isimportant you make sure that while you are installing new software,there are no other applications running on your screen at the sametime. Also, when turning off your computer, it is important to makesure that all of the programs you are running have been closeddown. If you follow those two tips, you should never have a problemwith this error message again!

Question #3: Can aUSB drive be reformatted? If so, how?

When you pluga USB drive (flash drive, etc.) into your computer, it willrecognize the device as an external hard drive. Since it does that,the USB device can easily be formatted. However, USB drives do notwork with Windows 95 or Windows 98, unless you install the correctdrivers.

To reformatyour USB drive, double click on the My Computericon on your desktop and then find the icon of the USB drive youhave plugged into your computer. Right click the correct USB driveand choose the Format option. You can then makeany changes you want to the Options screen that appears and whenyou're done, just click on the Start button.Windows will then format your USB drive. However, reformatting yourUSB drive will delete everything on the drive and all of your datawill be lost. So, make sure you remove any important documents andfiles from your USB device before you proceed on with the reformatprocess. That's all there is to it!

There you go.Hope these answers help you all out!

msoffice - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

Picking a Date in a Different Format
    Did you give yesterday's Date Picker feature for MS Word 2007 a try?

I know that I really love the idea especially for templates.

Anyway, as I was working with the Date Picker I noticed, as I'm sure so did you, that the date is formatted in a way that I would rarely use...

This leads me to wonder how I can change that.

So, as expected, I went searching for an answer.

And after many failed attempts with right-clicks and whatnot I finally took a good look at the Controls section of the Developer tab of the Ribbon.

controls sec prop button - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

Guess what?

There's a Properties button that becomes active when I have the Date Picker selected.

Clicking the Properties button gave me just what I was looking to find Imagine that?

date picker prop dialog box - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

As you can see in the center area you do have a choice as to how the date is formatted.

Pick one and click OK.

Yeah! I mean I thought that this little gem had a lot of potential to begin with but now I find it even more useful that I did before.

tipoftheday - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

An Introduction to Blackboard

When I say “Blackboard,” you probably imagine the big green slate-looking thing hanging on the wall in first grade -and you’d be right. But I’m not talking about the board in front of the room that was thrown out with the mimeograph machine, I’m talking about the sophisticated software system used in more than half of all online and distance education courses.

If you’re one of the millions of students faced with taking a class through distance education, here’s the skinny on Blackboard.

What is Blackboard?

liebhaber blackboard0 - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

Blackboard is a course management system (CMS) used by many educational institutions (and no, I don’t mean “mental” when I say “institution,” well, usually&hellip. It has all sorts of cool bells and whistles such as an electronic file exchange system called the digital drop box and an integrated chat feature. Think Facebook, but for school—and without the extensive social networking! Think Target’s online shopping website with all of the pictures and information about products. Blackboard is a one-stop-fits-all for school: it holds content, including graphics and video, an interactive gradebook and access to discussion forums. In short, Blackboard is your entire class wrapped into an attractive electronic file.

Who Uses it?

This probably sounds all well and good, but what’s the point? Who’s actually going to use this stuff?

If you’re like me (and half of the other population on this planet), you’re so busy you’re like a hamster running around in one of those little plastic balls. In order to attract your business, colleges and universities (and K-12, you may be surprised to learn) have developed online classes in order to provide educational access to those overscheduled human beings like you and me. Using Blackboard allows instructors to provide all of a course’s materials in an organized, somewhat attractive appearance. Take this World Literature 1 class for example:

liebhaber blackboard1 - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

All of the class materials are available to the student in an easy-to-access manner. I mean, who wouldn’t want to learn about Shakespeare from pictures and audio files? (Okay, I know—you’re rather pass on ol' Bill….)

Other Options

As cool as it seems, Blackboard is not one-of-a-kind. There are many CMS’s: the late WebCT (cannibalized by Blackboard), the fading Angel (being cannibalized by Blackboard), Jenzabar (ignored by Blackboard), the open-source Sakai, and the open-source emerging winner Moodle. Each of these systems provide access to content in much the same way as Blackboard.

Now the next time you have to schedule a class that boasts using Blackboard, you’ll know to leave your chalk at home.

~Karen Powers Liebhaber

What a wonderful introduction! Don't forget to rate or add to this tip here!

feature - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

Security Terms

I rememberwhen I first started wrestling with my pc and hearing the tidalwave of jargon I had to sift thought and interpret in order tofigure out what's going on. It's like learning a new languagefilled with everything from extremely technical terms, to almostsilly terms, and some very far-reaching acronyms.

Today myfocus is going to be on security terms that are used regularly whendiscussing security issues. We can benefit greatly by beingfamiliar with them. You may already be familiar with some of theseterms from past articles or personal experience, but when it comesto security repetition is key.

Anti-virus :Software that scans your pc for viruses, worms, and trojans usingup-to-date virus signatures. Once found, the program can remove, orquarantine the virus and (ideally) keep it from performing whatevermalicious duties is was sent to do.

Attack: An attempt by an unauthorized individualor program to gain control over aspects of your pc for variouspurposes.

Backdoor: This issometimes referred to as a trapdoor, and is a feature in programsthat the original programmer puts into the code in order to fixbugs or make other changes that need to be made. However, if thisinformation becomes known to anyone else it poses a potentialsecurity risk.

Firewall: A firewall refers to either a softwareor hardware device that basically protects your internal networkfrom any outside threat or any unauthorized Internet access fromthe inside.

Hijacking: Anattack whereby an active, established, session is intercepted andused by the attacker. Hijacking can occur locally if, for example,a legitimate user leaves a computer unprotected. Remote hijackingcan occur via the Internet.

Hole: A known flaw in code that can compromise thesecurity of your system by allowing unauthorized access.

HTTPS(Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure): This is a version ofhttp that is far more secure and is used (or should be used) inareas of the web where sensitive information is being used orexchanged.

Key: These are thenames of Windows Registry components that are responsible forkeeping the settings in Windows. Every time a program gets added toor uninstalled from a pc the Registry gets changed. If a virus getsinto your system and makes changes to your registry keys it cancause serious performance changes.

Keyloggers: These are used in legitimate programs but havebeen a favorite of hackers for years. Basically, what a key loggerdoes is log your keystrokes for however long it is configured for.Hackers use these types of programs to find important informationlike usernames and passwords for sensitive accounts or highlysecure areas.

@mm: This isusually seen at the end of a virus name i.e. W32netsky@mm andsignifies that this virus is a mass mailer. A mass mailer is theterm for a virus that upon infection can mail itself out to emailaddresses that it harvests from various areas of your harddriveespecially your address book. Sometimes you will seethe designation with only one "m" at the end of the virus name thisstands for mailer and this kind of virus can only ride along withemail messages you send.

Here are somemore security terms that you should become familiar with. There'llbe a quiz next weekjust kidding!

Macrovirus: Code written to take advantage of 'Hotkey"abilities to deliver it's payload or replicate. Macros arehotkeyskey combinations that you can record and link to asingle or fewer keystrokes.

Payload: This isthe portion of the virus that is released into your system, itisn't always destructive but is always unwanted.

Port: The protocolstack TCP/IP which is the protocol of the Internet (for the mostpart). There are several small parts to an Internet address, or IPaddress. While the IP address is your logical location on the web,the port number is an identifier for the service you would like touse on the system you're connecting to.
    *A port has always been a tough concept to grab but is a veryimportant component in fighting off hackers, Firewalls are soimportant because they deny any accesses to or from ports that youhaven't granted access to. A firewall is an absolute necessity forbroadband users.

Protocol: A set ofrules and standards to govern the exchange of data betweencomputers and related devices. There are protocols in almost everyaspect of computers from web design to programming to networkadministration.

Replication: Aftera virus successfully infects a PC it usually starts to copy itself.Then it tries to infect either different parts of your system, orother systems, usually through address books or shared networkfiles. This is usually one of the chief missions of a virus and bymeans of replication viruses can grow and infect new systems at anexponential rate.

Security response:The process of research, creation, delivery, and notification ofresponses to viral and malicious code threats, as well as operatingsystem, application, and network infrastructurevulnerabilities.

SMTP: Simple MailTransport Protocol. This is an email protocol that is responsiblefor moving mail from mail server to mail server.

Variant: Amodification to the original virus code in an attempt to eitherthrow antivirus software companies off, or create a differenteffect from the virus.

Virusdefinitions file: These are data files used by antivirusprograms to help them identify and deal with viral attempts toinfect your system.

Stay safe outthere,

coolsite - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

Safe Surfer

I cant believe how much I fell in love with this site. Not only does it offer practical information and teach you things, it also provides you with games to play!

It is divided into different categories, they are:

Forum – this is where you can meet and communicate with people who visit this site. You’ll need to register to post, and it would be wise to read the FAQ for the forum.

2¢ Blog – here you’ll find a blog where people write in with their 2 cents. You can write in with a tip or trick, or your opinion on a computer/internet related topic.

The Buzz – here you can find the latest news on a variety of interesting topics. You’ll find news on Sports, Science, Health, Technology, and more.

Lingo - here you can find all that internet slang and acronyms defined. You can use the alphabetical buttons at the top to skip to a certain letter, or you can scroll down the page.

Arcade – here you’ll find reviews on video games. Some of the games are a couple years old but the reviews are still helpful if you’re shuffling through the used video games at your local game store and wondering if a game was good or not.

Games – here you will find three different games to play! There is Whack-a-Mole for those days when you need to release some frustration. You’ll also find a space game, Sputnik Lost in Space. There is always the classic Pong too!

Tips’n’Trix – by far and away one of my favorite sections at this site. You will find tips that you can use, as well as, websites that have been recommended to visit!

Vibes – here you can learn all about why the site exists!

Skoolin’ – this is my favorite section. Here you can learn how a computer works, explore the internet, netiquette, bullying, nasties (viruses, browsing dangers, and more), and if you have any questions after digesting this section they provide you an e-mail address where you can send your question to!

Websafe - this section covers just about everything you need to know about browsing the web safely and more importantly keeping your kids safe when they play on the web.

I think this is a bookmark worthy site, and I hope you do too!

20162B 2B1 - 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

Karachi, Pakistan, Pakistan
    408 Post(s)
    9084 Thread(s)
    Default Re: 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

83 Post(s)
    8537 Thread(s)
    Default Re: 19 Critical Security Terms Explained

پھر یوں ہوا کے درد مجھے راس آ گیا