Thread: Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Islamabad, UK
    548 Post(s)
    9504 Thread(s)
    candel Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

quick tips - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Facebook Quick Reply

When you've got a dialogue going with someone on Facebook you most likely find out via an e-mail notification if something has been replied to.

Ding, you've got a message telling you that someone has replied to your status or conversation. Now click the link, go log in, type your reply, log out...and get an e-mail 10 minutes later with yet another reply. Repeat the whole process.

Or don't...

Because now Facebook supports replying to comments right from notification e-mails!

When you get a notification, just hit Reply in your mail client, reply to the comment at the top of the e-mail and send! Your comment will post to the relevant conversation and you don't have to do the log-in shuffle anymore!

fb comment reply - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Wireless 4G is here!

wimax logo - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc lte logo - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

This year's CES was full of wireless technology. Every major wireless phone company and wireless phone maker was there. They had new phones and new tablets and netbooks, but that was not the interesting part. To me, the most interesting aspect of wireless communications at CES is the battle over 4G dominance.

If you look at commercials on TV now, you should notice the battle between AT&T and Verizon over their 3G (third generation) Wireless networks. Well, in the futuristic world of CES, 3G is in the past. We have moved onto 4G and there is a totally different battle altogether.

In the World of 4G, there are currently two major types of communications. One is called Wimax and the other is called LTE. Both of these provide very high speed wireless broadband services that will eventually outperform your current in-home wired connection. Both of them are currently being developed for different carriers and both of them consider themselves the best option for the future of wireless broadband service.

Currently, it looks like WiMax is getting more use. Sprint has already begun its use of WiMax in some areas while LTE has very little actual use. Unfortunately for WiMax, it appears that this will all change soon. Just recently, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile have announced their support of LTE. They all have plans of using LTE on their networks soon and this is bad news for WiMax.

So, Keep an eye out for more news on this. No matter who wins this battle, there are some major changes coming to the speed of your Mobile Broadband connection.

comp101 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Is there any way to clear the formatting of copied text?

There sure is!
    Have you ever copied a hunk of text that wasoverly-formatted? You know, italic, underlined, and written in somereally strange looking font that's next to impossible toread?

Like this:

plaintextformatting1 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

When youpaste it into your wordprocessor, chances are that it retains all those properties. Now,you could go and try to re-format the text back into somethingnormal, but that can sometimes prove problematic.

A better wayis to copy the text into Notepad and let it remove the formattingautomatically. After you paste the text in, all you're left with isplain text than can be pasted into any word processingapplication.

Here is thattext pasted into Windows Notepad:

plaintextformatting2 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

msoffice - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Random Text in MS Word + New Options in Word 2007
    If you're like me then there are just times when you need random text inserted into MS Word for demonstrations or just testing the effects of different features in the program.

Whatever your reason, you need text and just typing random letters usually doesn't behave like true text. Character strings tend to be too long so wrapping and other things just don't work as they should.

So, do we copy and paste a bunch of text just to "play" with?

"No" would be my choice and, as many of you know, it's a good choice since Word will insert random text for you to work with.

If you've used random Word text then you know that using "=rand(x,y)" as the beginning of a new line then pressing Enter will insert actual text for you to use. (Note: x is the number of paragraphs and y is the number of sentences per paragraph.)

Here's a quick "Did you know?" about using the rand function

If you put only one number in the parentheses then you'll receive that many paragraphs of text.

If you leave the parentheses empty then you'll receive three paragraphs of text.

OK, so back to business

In older versions of Word the text you get would be this:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
    The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

In Word 2007 you get this:

On the Insert tab, the galleries include items that are designed to coordinate with the overall look of your document. You can use these galleries to insert tables, headers, footers, lists, cover pages, and other document building blocks. When you create pictures, charts, or diagrams, they also coordinate with your current document look.
    You can easily change the formatting of selected text in the document text by choosing a look for the selected text from the Quick Styles gallery on the Home tab. You can also format text directly by using the other controls on the Home tab. Most controls offer a choice of using the look from the current theme or using a format that you specify directly.

If you miss the old quick brown fox text you can use "=rand.old(x,y)".

Here's an extra random text option that Word 2007 offers.

"=lorem(x,y)" as the beginning of a new line then pressing Enter will insert the random characters that approximate a normal distribution of letters know as Lorem Ipsum, such as this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Maecenas porttitor congue massa. Fusce posuere, magna sed pulvinar ultricies, purus lectus malesuada libero, sit amet commodo magna eros quis urna.
    Nunc viverra imperdiet enim. Fusce est. Vivamus a tellus.
    Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Proin pharetra nonummy pede. Mauris et orci.

No more making up strange letter combinations for a quick test run.. let Word give you some text with the blink of an eye and you can get on with business.

~ April

tipoftheday - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

RealPlayer Basics Pt. 2

Last time, we discussed how to use the functions listed under the first two tabs in RealPlayer: “File” and “View.” Let’s learn more about what else RealPlayer has to offer its users!

An additional feature that’s both neat and entertaining under the “View” option is the “Choose Visualization” button. By clicking on this, you can select a computerized image that will play in the screen’s background as you listen to music or a recording as opposed to looking at just the black screen!

sheida rp2 1 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Under the “Play” tab, the first few options are basic controls for operating any videos you are viewing. These consist of: Play, Stop, Previous Clip, Next Clip, Seek To, and Volume. You can control what video you are watching, skip between clips, and control the sound of the video by managing these buttons. The next two options are to either play or eject the CD or DVD that is in your computer’s disc drive.

sheida rp2 2 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

The final two options under “Play” are Shuffle Play and Continuous Play, which are applicable when listening to or viewing playlists. “Shuffle” means that the order of songs or videos in your playlist are played randomly, and “continuous” means that it is played without stops in between. You may enable these options simply by clicking on them, and you will see a checkmark next to it once the option has been turned on.

sheida rp2 3 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

The next tab is the “Favorites” tab. Under this tab, you can add clips to your favorites, add a webpage to your favorites, and manage your favorites. The first option allows you to add the current clip you are viewing to your Favorites list. If you are watching or listening to a clip from a webpage, you may add this to your favorites as well. The third option opens the folders under your computer settings, and it allows you to organize all of your files and favorites. The following four tabs are Audio, Radio, Video, and WebPages—these are the folders under which you can categorize your favorites.

sheida rp2 4 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Under “Tools,” the first option is the Equalizer. This allows you to control the bass, mid, and treble settings for your sound. They should all be set at “zero,” which is balanced. The second option, Crossfade, is only available if you have a membership with RealPlayer. The Video Controls are also somewhat limited with free membership. You can also Check for Update(s) or Add a New Device, which takes you to a link to purchase online. Under the CD option, you can get info on the CD playing, save tracks, or use the CD burner! Enjoy!

sheida rp2 5 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

feature - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Simple Windows 7 / Vista Image Resizer

Have I got a cool download for you today (and a story to go with it).

A couple months ago, we upgraded most of our computers to windows 7. It was a fairly painless change and we all seemed to carry on with our business. After a couple days, I was convinced that I had successfully converted from Windows XP to Windows 7 with no troubles.

Until the third day...

It was a Tuesday, and I was preparing to write my security article. I knew what I was going to write about and everything was going smoothly, until I needed to put a picture into my article.

You see, when you take a picture with a camera, it is usually HUGE. In order to put it into an article, it needs to be resized so it fits. In Windows XP, I had a very cool tool called the image resizer powertoy. I could right click on an image and choose "resize", type in the size I wanted then VOILA!, I had my picture.

Unfortunately, this awesome feature did not come with me on my journey to windows 7. You can imagine my dismay.

So, I started my search and apparantly I am not the only one that missed this tool. After only a few minutes of hunting, I came across a site that that had made an exact replica of this tool, but for windows 7 and Vista. It even worked on 64 and 32 bit operating systems! Woohoo!

Now that I'm done with the story, let me get to the download. Here's how it works.

Simply right click on any image and you will see the option for "Resize Pictures".

resize7 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Now, just choose the size you want and click OK.

resize7 1 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

It's that simple.

I hope you enjoy this tool. I certainly use it a lot!

Windows 7 and windows Vista users can download this tool here:

If you are using XP, you can read about the original XP Powertoys here:

coolsite - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Obsolete Skills

A skill Imiss using is the DOS Tree from Windows 3.1. I was talking aboutthat with a friend of mine online and they pointed me toward thisWeb site. What you'll find here is an A to Z listing of skills thathave become obsolete over time. Let's check it out!

Youllfind the link to the A to Z listing of obsolete skills on the sidemenu. Some examples of those skills are:

Be Kind,Rewind
    Centering Text on a Typewriter
    Formatting a Floppy Disk
    Letter Writing
    Quill Sharpening
    Tying Shoes with Hook Laces

Each one islinked to its entry, so you can click on the title to learn more.The entry will describe the following:

Field, WentObsolete, Made Obsolete By, Knowledge Assumed and When Useful. Theymight also have a more descriptive entry after those sections arefilled out.

On the mainpage, youll also find a link to a list of new skills thathave never been heard of before. That listing is set up the sameway as the list of obsolete skills.

Some examplesare:

AdobePhotoshop Skills
    Maintain an Online Identity
    Protect Personal Identity from Theft
    Send a Text Message
    Understanding That a Mouse Doesnt Necessarily HaveFur

I think theselists give an interesting look into the way our lives have changedover the years!

20162B 2B1 - Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

Karachi, Pakistan, Pakistan
    408 Post(s)
    9084 Thread(s)
    Default Re: Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

kool shairng

83 Post(s)
    8537 Thread(s)
    Default Re: Have Pictures? Save Tons of Time etc

پھر یوں ہوا کے درد مجھے راس آ گیا