Warne asks to move IPL from India
SYDNEY: Shane Warne says threats of a terrorist attack have him "thinking twice" about playing in this year''s Indian Premier League, reports said on Thursday.
Fresh security worries have surfaced ahead of the field hockey World Cup later this month in New Delhi, the Twenty20 cricket tournament in March-April and October''s Commonwealth Games.
The developments have prompted the Australian legspin great to urge the organisers of the IPL to consider moving the tournament if threats of a terrorist attack are proven to be credible.
"The threats have certainly got me thinking twice and is of deep concern to athletes across a number of sports," Warne told the British daily.
"If the threats are proven to be real, then organisers of the IPL may look at moving the tournament.
"We moved it last year at short notice and it can be done and there is no way organisers will risk the safety of players and officials."
South Africa remains the most viable option as they hosted the IPL last year due to safety concerns in India relating to the country''s general election.
"I love the country and I''m committed to the Royals but obviously if I''m given the advice (that) it''s unsafe that will prompt a serious rethink," Warne said.