Janowicz disappointed with having to face Odesnik
HOUSTON: Wayne Odesnik, playing for the first time since pleading guilty to importing human growth hormone, defeated Jerzy Janowicz 6-3, 6-4 at the US Clay Court Championship on Monday.
Odesnik pleaded guilty late last month to taking HGH into Australia. He was fined 7,200 dollars and could be banned by the ATP Tour which governs men''s professional tennis.
Odesnki refused to comment on the HGH scandal Monday saying he wants to keep the focus on his tennis for the moment.
"I''m doing the only thing I can do right now and that is focus on my tennis," Odesnik said. "I''ve worked extremely hard. I''m looking forward to the clay court season. That''s where I usually excel."
Asked if he had the backing of the other players on the ATP Tour, he said, "I don''t know, I''m just trying to play tennis."
Janowicz, of Poland, said he was disappointed that the American was allowed to play in Houston.
"I think it is unfair to do something like this," Janowicz said.
"It''s a misunderstanding because for me, he shouldn''t be playing at this moment. He should be suspended. There are bad feelings right now. He shouldn''t play and right now I''m playing with this guy. It''s tough to play with that kind of guy."
Odesnik was runner-up in the event last year. He clinched the victory when Janowicz''s backhand sailed long in the final game of the second set.
Top-seeded Fernando Gonzalez of Chile drew a first-round bye and will open his tournament on Wednesday.