Brett Lee ready for Aussie comeback

SYDNEY: Brett Lee has announced himself ready to return to the Australian side for the World Twenty20 tournament early next month.

Lee bowled on Wednesday for the first time since breaking his thumb at the end of a poor four-game stint in the Indian Premier League.

The 33-year-old has found himself outside the national team in recent times thanks to injuries and the form of up-and-coming pacemen Doug Bollinger, Peter Siddle, Ryan Harris, Clint McKay and spearhead Mitchell Johnson.

"It''s been a tough couple of years, hopefully I turned the corner now and things will be a little bit brighter," Lee told reporters today.

He said he has been cleared to resume playing, despite some pain in his thumb.

"There was limited pain which was good and didn''t stop me from bowling which is great," Lee said after a nets session at the Gabba in Brisbane.

"It has been difficult coming back but I saw the surgeon (this week) and he cleared me to play.

"I''ve played with pain my whole life and a broken thumb won''t stop me from bowling."

The World Twenty20 begins in the Caribbean on April 30, with Australia''s first match coming against Pakistan on May 2.