Clarke''s not for changing in T20 hurly-burly

SYDNEY: Michael Clarke, leading Australia for the first time in a major international tournament, says he doesn''t feel the need to change his batting style to fit in with the blistering demands of Twenty20.

Clarke, 29, has stepped up to the national captaincy for the World Twenty20 in the Caribbean following Ricky Ponting''s decision to concentrate on Test and one-day internationals.

Clarke''s struggle to come to terms with the frenetic nature of T20 cricket mirrors Australia''s unconvincing efforts to master the shortened format, but he is confident he can make further strides in the third edition of the World T20 which starts on Friday.

The New South Wales right-hander prides himself on his elegant batting technique, honed as a youngster by facing the bowling machine at his father''s indoor centre.

"I think I can definitely still take it up a notch," he said. "But I can''t walk out there and smack the ball out of the park from the very first ball.

"I know I won''t be successful like that. For me it''s important to play my shots, to use my strengths, my speed, my running between wickets and my energy in the field.

"With the squad we have if we need blokes to walk in there and hit it out of the park, we''ve got a lot of those players. I don''t think I have to do that."