Chanay Ki Daal Ka HalWa
Recipe of urad chane ki dal
3/4 cup dhuli urad dal (split black gram)
1/2 cup chana dal (split Bengal gram)
2 tomatoes- chopped
1 medium onion- chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp garam masala
1. Wash and soak urad dal and chana dal for 1 hour. Drain. Place both dal along with enough water, salt and red chilli and turmeric powders in a pressure cooker. Pressure cook till tender.
2. Mash dal with the back of a ladle (karchhi).
3. Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they change color, add hing.
4. Add onion and fry till light brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for 1 minute.
5. Add tomatoes and cook till oil begins to separate.
6. Add this tempering or tadka to the boiled dal and mix. Add garam masala and give 1 boil to dal, then let it simmer it on low heat for 5 minutes, covered. Serve hot urad chane ki dal garnished with coriander leaves.
¼ cup Masoor dal
• 2 bunches of Spinach (palak)
• 2 Tomatoes (cut into small pieces)
• 2 Onions (chopped)
• 1½ tsp Ginger-Chili Paste
• 1 tbsp Mustard Oil
• Salt (to taste)
• ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
How to make Dal Palak:
•Chop the palak into fine pieces and cook with sufficient quantity of water. •Wash dal and cook it with turmeric powder in a pressure cooker. •Heat oil in a frying pan and add few cumin seeds. •Allow spluttering, add onions and fry till they become golden brown. •Add ginger-chili paste to it and again fry for a minute. •Mix tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes. •When tomatoes are cooked, add palak and cooked dal. Now add a little water and salt. Boil the mixture for a few minutes. •Remove from heat. •Dal Palak is ready.