Spicy and Sour Eggplant
1 kilogram medium-sized eggplants
7-8 - curry leaves (curry patta)
3 tablespoons tamarind, remove seeds
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
3 medium onions skinned, peeled, and grou
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1\2 level teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dane)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai or sarson)
1 tablespoon raw peanut, shelled
1 tablespoon coconut grated
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (til)
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1\2 teaspoon turmeric ground
1\2 cup oil
4 - tomato finely chopped
2-3 - green chillies
2 tablespoon coriander leaves
1 teaspoon salt
How to Cook:
1. Dry roast cumin, fenugreek and mustard seeds for few minutes in a small heavy based frying pan until they give off their aroma. Put them in a blender or food processor with peanut, coconut, sesame seeds, coriander seeds and grind to a powder.
2. Wash the eggplant and pat dry. Slit them lengthwise carefully into four, leaving them still held together at the stalk.
3. In a bowl mix all the spices including salt, chili powder and turmeric, with onion, garlic and ginger paste. Stuff the eggplant with this mixture.
4. Heat oil in a heavy based pan and add curry leaves and almost at once add the egg plant and left over stuffing.
5. Cook over low heat for about 15- 20 minutes or until the egg plant are almost tender.
6. Add tomatoes, stir well and allow to cook for 5-6 minutes or when oil begins to separate. Add tamarind stir well and cook for another few minutes.
7. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves and chopped green chillies.
8. Serve with Chapati or Nan
This recipe serves 6 people.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes.