Andy Murray admits he will have to play the best tennis of his life if he is to claim his maiden grand slam title in Melbourne.

1398 - Andy Murray eyes maiden grand slam

The world No. 4 was in blistering form as he reached the Australian Open final last year, but he lost to an inspired Roger Federer, who claimed a record 16th major title.

Murray, who has been working on his serve during the off-season, believes he still needs to improve if he is to get the better of Federer and world No. 1 Nadal.

"Last year's Aussie Open was one of the best events that I have played in my life," Murray said.

"I played some of my best tennis, but I'll have to play even better if I want to win [this year], because Rafa and Roger are playing so well just now."

Murray, who is warming up for the Australian Open at the Hopman Cup, playing alongside British youngster Laura Robson, is also hoping to be more consistent this season. Despite finishing the year as world No. 4 with two Masters titles to his name, Murray lost in the second round in Dubai, Miami and Monte Carlo, and crashed out of the US Open in the third round.

"It was just a very up and down season last year," Murray said. "I played great at the Aussie Open, I played great again at Wimbledon, and then the periods in between weren't so good.

"I still finished No. 4 in the world and won a couple of the big Masters Series, but obviously I would have liked it to have been more consistent."