Manchester United winger Nani says the club are capable of achieving something "very special" this season after going unbeaten for the first 20 games of the Premier League season.

A 2-1 victory over Stoke on Wednesday night, in which Nani scored the winner, ensured United moved three points clear at the top of the Premier League table.

18910 - Ferguson eager to avoid repeat of FA Cup 'mistake'

Sir Alex Ferguson's side have been unimpressive at times this season, but they remain unbeaten and speculation is mounting that they could match the achievement of Arsenal, in 2003-04, and Preston, in 1888-89, by going an entire league season unbeaten.

Nani is certainly happy to consider whether the rare feat could be achievable this season.

"I hope we can go the whole season unbeaten," Nani said. "We are in a great position. We have been doing so well.

"We have to keep working hard and doing the same things. Providing we stay together I feel we will finish the season with something very special."

United will open up a new front in their campaign at the weekend when facing rivals Liverpool in the third round of the FA Cup.

Last season, Ferguson saw his side defeated by League One Leeds United, but the United boss says he is determined to succeed in the competition this year.

"It is an important trophy so there is a strong desire to get our hands on it," Ferguson told Inside United. "We haven't won it since 2004, or been to Wembley in the final since we lost to Chelsea in 2007. So we definitely want to get back there. And we want to win it.

"It was a bad result last season against Leeds, especially considering the rivalry between the two clubs. In hindsight I could have picked a stronger team. I won't be making that mistake this time."