Andy Roddick booked a final place against Robin Soderling at the Brisbane International after struggling to a three-set win over Kevin Anderson.

19045 - Roddick fights his way into Soderling final

Second seed Roddick, who has never lost at the tournament, battled through a second-set wobble on his way to a 6-2 4-6 6-2 triumph.

He looked on course for a routine win when he sealed the first set in 31 minutes, but Anderson's ferocious serve tipped the balance in the second frame. Roddick didn't panic after dropping a set at the tournament for the first time, closing out the win without any more scares.

Soderling's progress was a lot more serene - he overpowered 2009 champion Radek Stepanek 6-3 7-5 despite losing his first service game of the week. "He is a player I don't really like to play against because he mixes up his game a lot," Soderling said. "But today I was able to handle it really well - that's why I am really happy with today's match.

"The final is the match you really want to win, but if I am going to lose tomorrow I still feel like I have had a very good week of preparation before [the Australian Open]."