Robin Soderling kick-started his season with his first silverware at the year at the Brisbane International.

19109 - Soderling beats Roddick to clinch Brisbane crown

The world No. 5 outserved Andy Roddick by 16 aces to 12 as he secured a 6-3 7-5 victory over the defending champion. After a brief delay in the second set, when a thunderstorm disprupted play in the Pat Rafter Arena, Soderling claimed his first ATP Tour title on Australian soil without dropping a set.

Soderling will take the fourth seed spot for the Australian Open, meaning Andy Murray will be seeded fifth for the second consecutive year - meaning he could face Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer as early as the quarter-finals.

"I'm playing really well and it makes me really happy," Soderling told the ATP website. "I've never really played well in Australia before and now finally I won a tournament playing really good tennis. It gives me a lot of confidence for Melbourne.

"I've had the best possible preparation I could have with five good matches here, now I'll have a week of rest and practice in Melbourne and I'll be more than ready to go. I know I have a chance to do really well if I play good tennis like here."

Roddick confirmed he would donate $10,800 to the Queensland Flood Appeal.

Meanwhile, in India, Stanislas Wawrinka went one better to claim the Chennai Open title against Xavier Malisse. Wawrinka lost in the final last year, but made no mistake as he battled to hard-fought 7-5 4-6 6-1 victory.