West Ham United have completed the signing of midfielder Gary O'Neil from Middlesbrough.

19792 - West Ham complete O'Neil signing

The 27-year-old finalised a two-and-a-half year deal on Tuesday after the two clubs agreed an undisclosed transfer fee believed to be in the region of 2 million.

O'Neil will be available for the Hammers' Carling Cup semi-final second leg against Birmingham City on Wednesday. The Englishman previously played for West Ham as a youngster, and admitted he was very happy to be returning to Upton Park and Premier League football.

"I'm really pleased to sign. It all happened very quickly," O'Neil said. "I played for Middlesbrough at the weekend and didn't know anything was going to happen. It has all gathered pace since then. There was also a big rush to do it quickly when they realised I wasn't cup-tied.

"I enjoyed my time at Middlesbrough, the fans and staff were really good but it has been a difficult time on the pitch. It is nice to be back in the Premier League and play at the top level, which everyone wants to do. I am London born so it is good to come home. It is great that the club have such a massive game to look forward to.

"I haven't trained yet with the team so it is up to the manager of course if he wants to use me. I will take it one step at a time but it is a big game and it could be a case of straight in at the deep end if involved."