Andy Murray hinted that he is yet to physically recover from a grueling Australian Open campaign after suffering a disappointing first round loss to Marcos Baghdatis at the World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam.

20197 - Wrist bothers Andy Murray in upset defeat

Murray led 3-0 in the first set before losing 6-4 6-1 and he admitted afterwards that his left wrist was causing him problems, although he said the injury was not serious enough to blame outright for the surprising defeat.

"I was struggling with my wrist but it wasn't terrible," he said after his first match since losing the Australian Open final to Novak Djokovic.

"A lot of the players have had problems with their wrists this week. Maybe it's the change of surface and balls - but I don't think it's anything serious."

Murray said he was now in the process of building up towards the next big tournaments in the United States next month.

He said: "I need to think about what I need to do to be playing my best tennis by Indian Wells and Miami in March. I started well and then began missing a lot. You need to be very sharp in your movement on this surface."

Baghdatis knows what it feels like to come off the back of an Australian Open final, having reached the 2006 final of the calendar's hottest Grand Slam, and he said Murray was possibly yet to recover from last month's exertions.

"I always try to fight and find a solution to win, Andy played good at the start, I had to break the rhythm, he began making mistakes and lost concentration," said Baghdatis.

"I finished it off and I'm very happy. He could be tired from Melbourne, when I played the final in Australia, I was in bed for a week, it's tough to come back. I took my chances today, bad luck for him."