Zlatan Ibrahimovic has claimed he rejected the chance to move to Manchester City last summer, insisting he turned down the opportunity to join the Roberto Mancini revolution because he doesn't want to "play for the money".

18735 - Ibrahimovic turned down chance to join City

The Swedish striker, who switched from Barcelona to AC Milan in a season-long loan move in August, admitted he held talks with City before deciding to head to the San Siro.

"I had a couple of talks with City and they had a fantastic project going on but I'm not one of those players who would go there and play for the money," he told the Daily Telegraph. "For me, it's important to see what kind of future there is, what kind of possibilities there are.

"For me, the project of City is not now. In a couple of years they will come top but Milan now is at the top and I want to be playing at the top when I'm 29 rather than 32."

Ibrahimovic played under Mancini whilst at Inter and the 29-year-old praised his former manager for turning City into a "top team".

"They have made some good investments and are playing well," he said. "The trainer is doing fantastic for City and they are one of the top teams around, but the choice for me was Milan. It was not about the money. If you are a great player there is money everywhere.

"You can never tell what the future looks like," he said. "I learned from my time in Barcelona that football can change in 24 hours. I signed for Milan and I'm very happy to be here and I would be more than happy to play four years with Milan. From there I don't know what will happen."