World No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki had to settle for second best as Vera Zvonareva clinched victory in the final of the Qatar Ladies Open on Saturday.

21217 - Wozniacki suffers in Qatar final

Wozniacki had looked peerless all week in Doha, reaching the weekend showpiece without conceding a set. However, she was always on the back foot as Zvonareva claimed a deserved 6-4 6-4 victory.

Both players went into the contest with vastly contrasting records in finals, Wozniacki having won 13 of 19, while Zvonareva had tasted success in only 10 of 26. The No. 2 seed knew she had a job on her hands, commenting pre-match: "Caroline is very consistent. I have to play my game and try to dominate. If we both play well, it will come down to who is a better shot-maker on that day. I didn't come to this tournament thinking about losing."

The Russian stayed true to her word too, breaking Wozniacki in the opening service game, and then doing so again for 2-1 as neither player held her serve early on. Zvonareva claimed 75% of the points on offer when returning in the first set, and that was enough to close it out 6-4.

Wozniacki had won three of the last five meetings between the two players, and four of seven in total, but she could not break Zvonareva's stranglehold on the match, conceding two more breaks in the second.

Victory eventually arrived in a shade under two hours, handing Zvonareva her first title of the year.