Europe's dominance of the golfing scene has been reflected in the new world rankings, as the top four players are from the continent - the first time such a feat has been achieved since 1992.

21296 - Golf : Europe tighten grip on world golf

Martin Kaymer knocked Lee Westwood from his perch after finishing second in the WGC Accenture Match Play Championship. The German was beaten by Britain's Luke Donald, whose reward is a climb in the rankings to three.

Northern Ireland's Graeme McDowell is fourth on the list - meaning Tiger Woods' fall continues. The 14-time major champion was toppled in the first round by Thomas Bjorn and it cost him a two-place drop. Woods claims his game is a work in progress but the rankings will not make good viewing as it is the first time since April 1997 that he has been outside the top three in world.

The last time four Europeans led the way was on March 15, 1992 when Ian Woosnam was No. 1, Sir Nick Faldo No. 2 and Spanish duo Jose Maria Olazabal and Seve Ballesteros at No. 3 and No. 4 respectively.

Donald is at a career high of three and after admitting it is a surprising leap from nine, he is expecting criticism to come his way.

"No. 9 to No. 3 seems like a reasonably big jump," he said. "I feel like I'm good enough to be No. 3. But I guess popular opinion would maybe not say that just because of my record and the fact that I haven't won that much. But I think there's something to say for consistency.

"Even Lee Westwood being No. 1, I think he got criticised because he hadn't won a major, he hadn't won too many events in the last couple of years, but his consistency was good enough to get to No. 1. And I think there's something to be said for that, to be competing week in and week out, being under that strain. I know winning is a big deal and it's the biggest deal, but being consistent is also important. I think Lee showed that."